Tuesday, October 13, 2009

See me...hear me...touch me...tell me..

that I matter.

We all need to know that our lives matter, that our lives have meaning. We need to be acknowledged. We need to know that the struggle, the pain and the trials have meaning and purpose.

More importantly, we need to be heard and understood.

One of the today’s greatest challenges is feeling isolated. Not knowing where we fit. It is a death of sorts. Fear isolates us. And so, there we all are, together, yet totally separate. Disconnected. Weary. Acting out our roles, our personas and wearing the appropriate masks. Trying to meet the expectations of others.

Remember the teenager.

The teenager walks that tenuous line between dependency and independence…two extremes. Not understanding interdependence. Longing to be unique, terrified of being seen as “different”. The world delivers such mixed and confusing messages.

What does it mean to be unique? Is the “real me” enough?

Many of us never move from those teenage terrors. What does it take to cross the “terror barrier”? Who will be there if you do? What if you fail?

Look at the criminal.

Who is he/she other than one of “us” seeking to be seen, heard, acknowledged and known. “I exist. I am here. I can make a mark. See me.”

Life is Choice. We tend to forget that. We can choose to be helpless victims or we can choose to have purpose and meaning in our lives.

We can choose Courage and Freedom and Service to others.

That is when our lives really matter. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment