Thursday, September 10, 2009

On Becoming Authentic

I was de-cluttering my office and sorting old files when I came upon this poem. It was sent to me by a friend back in 2001. When she wrote it, she was working on her Masters degree in Education and one of her courses was about being your authentic self. Since my tag-line is Live the Real You, I was struck by the significance and depth of this little poem.

On Becoming Authentic

We search for a lifetime
For what we
Lost at the beginning---
Our real self.
Left is a void
Anxious,turbulent
Vacant at times
And yet unyielding.
A constant search
To find the scattered pieces
And put them together
Into our original
True essence.
The journey back and forth at the same time
Requires committed
Vigilance
To integrate all our parts
Face our fears
And learn to love what
We lost in the beginning.

JMD

No comments:

Post a Comment